Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Are You a Good Boss?

I am on for hectic weeks! I am embracing it as the energy keeps me on my toes, day in and out. My mind right now is playing how to manage my time – it is a cliché, never mind – still the same – being a working mom always keeps me on a juggling mode. But who cares? M-O-M  is certainly one of the noblest professions on earth!  I love every single minute of being a mother!

Anyway, back to my 8-5 office work mode,  I stumbled upon this interesting article from the McKinsey Quarterly that we ( employees, cum bosses or under a boss, or trying to be a boss! Hahaha! ) can learn , 2 things even more, not 1.  

“Why good bosses tune in to their people”(click this link for the full article) defined the “romance of leadership” in a workplace.   On the topic, Taking Control ( in a subtle way , that is ), it listed “taking the blame”. I found it amusing when suddenly I remembered P-Noy owning up and taking responsibility of the recent government fiasco in the way the crisis  ( you know the details…) was handled. It got mixed reactions, but take it anyway. That single act of the President alone was humbling…How to bolster performance? The article suggested that making small gestures will surely go a long way.  In the end, bosses are faced with a litmus test –  posing a question, 
         “ What does it feel like to work for me?” The writer , Robert  Stutton further commented , “ If your people answered this question honestly, would they say that you know the impact your words and deeds have on them—or that you are living in a fool’s paradise?”

Time to wake up , Bosses!

No comments:

Post a Comment